For many, sending a valuable item abroad sounds like it’s going to be seriously expensive.
In reality, it’s getting increasingly cheaper to do so. With lightning-fast shipping times on offer, it’s never been easier to send a parcel to a different country.
We’re going to fill you in on everything you need to know about shipping internationally, from
packing the parcel, to how long it will take to arrive.
How to prepare a parcel for international shipping
Preparing a parcel for international shipping is pretty much the same as what you’d do for a domestic delivery- you just need to be a little bit more cautious.
The longer the distance, the more chance your parcel’s going to get damaged.
Here are a few crucial things to remember:
- Clear labels: Make sure your label is easy to read and includes a return address. While your local postie that knows your name might make an effort to figure out where you live, someone in Australia is just going to chuck it in a pile, never to be seen again!
- Package well: The best way to make sure your parcel gets through an international adventure in one piece is by packaging well. Invest in a solid parcel box, and use proper packing tape instead of sellotape.
- Check the weight: If you have a particularly heavy parcel (over 68kg), you’ll need to use our International Freight Service. Contact us to find out more about this service.
- Use a reputable courier company: It’s vital that you use a courier you can trust. Caledonian Couriers have consistently excellent reviews online, so you can rest easy knowing you’re going to get excellent service.
If you’re sending something particularly fragile, and need specific information on how to pack it, check out our guide here.
How long will it take?
How quickly your parcel arrives at its destination depends on what shipping services you use, and what delivery times they offer. Of course, it also depends on where you’re sending it.
A parcel sent from Glasgow will reach the Netherlands a lot quicker than it can reach Hong Kong!
Here are the two international services we offer at Caledonian Couriers and how long they take:
- Premium service offers door to door next day delivery to most major European cities.
- Suitable for documents & parcels up to 68kg.
- The parcel will arrive between 9-1030am the next day.
- Collections are made by uniformed, trained couriers. Every shipment comes with step-by-step parcel tracking, and you’re emailed proof of delivery.
Rest of World:
- Express service available in 220 countries.
- Customs clearance provided for documents & parcels up to 68kg.
- Premium next day delivery by 10:30 am to the U.S.A available, and 12 noon for Canada.
- Rest of the world will take between 2-4 days.
All of our deliveries are fully tracked and insured for peace of mind. Unlike larger parcel delivery services like Royal Mail, we personally handle all of your enquiries and deliveries and contact you directly.
Our customised service makes sure you’re getting the best possible experience – you’re not just another number to us!
How much will it cost?
The price of international delivery depends on several factors, including the package dimensions, the weight, and where it’s going.
We offer a competitive price for our international courier services, so make sure to contact us here to get a quote!
Sending a parcel to international destinations doesn’t need to be stressful – in fact, the hardest part is wrapping it properly!
Caledonian Couriers offers international delivery all over the world, from Europe to the United States.
All courier deliveries are fully tracked and insured, so you can rest easy knowing that your parcel will get where it needs to go.
For an explanation on how we manage to keep our prices so low, check out our blog!